Wednesday 24 October 2012

The Hobbit - Riddles in the dark

I am an avid fan of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I can safely say I have milked The Lord of the Rings to death and I am really looking forward to the release of The Hobbit. I anticipate a great trilogy ahead of us. So, to celebrate the soon to be released of the first installment of The Hobbit on the big screen I wanted to share with other fans one of my favourite parts in the book, "Riddles in the Dark". Time to get excited!!!

Enjoy...


Gollum:

What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than trees,
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?


Bilbo:

Easy! Mountain, I suppose.

Gollum:

Does it guess easy? It must have a competition with us, my preciouss! If precious asks, and it doesn’t answer, we eats it, my preciousss. If it asks us, and we doesn’t answer, then we does what it wants, eh? We shows it the way out, yes!

Bilbo:

All right.

Bilbo:

 
Thirty white horses on a red hill,
First they champ,
Then they stamp,
Then they stand still.


Gollum: 


Teeth! Teeth! But we has only six, my precious.
 

Gollum:

Voiceless it cries,
Wingless flutters,
Toothless bites,
Mouthless mutters.


Bilbo:



Half a moment!


Bilbo:

Wind, wind, of course.
 

Bilbo:


An eye in a blue face
Saw an eye in a green face.
"That eye is like to this eye,"
Said the first eye,
"But in low place,
Not in high place."



Gollum: 


Ss, ss, ss.
 

Gollum:

Sun on the daisies, it means, it does.
 

Gollum:

It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
It lies behind stars and under hills,
And empty holes it fills.
It comes first and follows after,
Ends life, kills laughter.


Bilbo:

Dark!


Gollum:


Sssssss!


Bilbo:

 
A box without hinges, key, or lid,
Yet golden treasure inside is hid.

 Bilbo:


Well, what is it?

 Gollum:


Give us a chance. Let it give us a chance, my preciouss-ss-ss.… Eggses! Eggses it is!
 

Gollum:
 
This thing all things devours
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers
Gnaws iron, bites steel,
Grinds hard stones to meal,
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down!
 

Bilbo:

Time! Time!


Gollum: 


(stops) Sssssssss.


Gollum:

It’s got to ask us a quesstion, my preciouss, yes, yess, yesss. Jusst one more quesstion to guess, yes, yess.

Gollum: 


Ask us! Ask us!

Bilbo:


(to himself) What have I got in my pocket?


Gollum:


Not fair! It isn’t fair, my precious, is it, to ask us what it’s got in its nassty little pocketses?
 

Bilbo:

(louder, to Gollum) What have I got in my pocket?

Gollum:


Sssssss. It must give us three guesseses, my preciouss—three guesseses.

Bilbo:

Very well! Guess away!

Gollum:


Handses!

Bilbo:


Wrong! Guess again!

Gollum:


Sssssss.


Gollum:

Knife!

Bilbo:


Wrong! Last guess!
 

Bilbo:

Time’s up!

Gollum:


String—or nothing!

Bilbo:


Both wrong!

Bilbo:


And now you must show the way out!


Gollum:

Ssssssssssss!

 
http://alan-lee.narod.ru/Hobbit.htm

......................................................................................................................................................................................
BRILLIANT!!!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment